It’s Saturday: Yikes! “The Book Thief” is now a movie!

We were at the cinema today and saw a trailer for the new movie based on the book “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak.

I LOVED THAT BOOK!

It was so powerful, so cleverly written, I couldn’t put it down. It deals with painful issues related to WWll from a perspective not often told. One of those books that I feely truly deserve all the positive superlatives publishers like to place on book covers.

The trailer worried me. I know a movie can’t (and shouldn’t) include everything that was in the book but the trailer looked as though the movie could be shmaltzy and shallow.

I’m afraid that the movie might be disappointing and even spoil a bit of the effect the book has left on me. I think I will wait a while, read reviews and see what my bool loving friends have to say. Then I’ll decide whether to see it or leave the images in my memory alone.

8 thoughts on “It’s Saturday: Yikes! “The Book Thief” is now a movie!”

1. Waiting for the movie over here too! Going to watch it with my students – as we read the book last year and LOVED it!

2. I remembered that you loved the book too, Vicky!
    How old are your students though? It’s great that you can watch a movie with them!
    Naomi

3. I loved the book, too. My synagogue read it as a group read. The movie has been out for quite a while — I don’t think it’s even showing here anymore. People I know who saw it loved it.

1. I haven’t met anyone who read the book and didn’t like it, Paula! Glad you think so too. I had no idea the movie has been out, thanks for the info!
      Naomi

4. Naomi, I’ve just been to see the film this afternoon and loved it. It is faithful to the book, well as far as I can remember the details from the book. Even though I knew what was coming up, I was still moved to tears throuhgout most of the second half! Of course not everything can be included from the book, but I felt they did a pretty good job of what they chose to include. The one omission which I noticed was the book Max illustrated, but I don’t think that detracted from the film. I had been worried about it being in English with English-speaking actors putting on accents, but all of the actors were wonderful and suited their parts. The child actors were especially outstanding! For me it worked!

1. Thanks for telling me this, Lesley! I heard from an American friend that she didn’t go because of negative opinions that she had heard. You are the first person I’ve heard from who has seen it. Thanks!

1. Phew! I was a bit stressed about whether the movie is good or not – my students and I were so thrilled with the book and we are looking forward to watching it. Thanks Lesley for the update!