Saturday’s Book and a Half: “The Namesake” & “Winter’s Bone”

Naomi's photos
Naomi’s photos

I’m running late with my book posts!

I completed “The Namesake” by Jhumpa Lahiri last week. I delayed reading it for a long time (even though I enjoyed Lahiri’s first book) since I’ve seen the movie. It’s a very odd thing – I forget oh-so-many things (especially names and numbers) but my memory works impressively well when it comes to movies.

The book, of course, is much better than the movie, and has lots of details that weren’t in the movie. Her writing is captivating and flowing, easy to read. The story is heartwarming.

However, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I could have. Remembering all the main points of the plot did detract. I have received the author’s book The “Lowlands”  but am going to wait a few years till I read it. I read a synopsis of it in The New Yorker Magazine…

“Winter’s Bone” by Daniel Woodrell is fantastic. The story is about a plucky girl dealing with a very harsh life with few second chances. I have NO plans to see the movie made based on THIS book. But the writing , the descriptions, the way the story unfolds –  SPELLBINDING! All I want to do is read. I haven’t finished it. YET!