Going Green – or NOT

Not just green... (Naomi's Photos)
Not just green…
(Naomi’s Photos)

In class my high-school students and I encounter a substantial number of reading comprehension passages that have to do with the environment. I think it is a “safe” subject for book & exam writers and is most certainly an important one.

However, this week I became worried that my students now think that every mention of the color “green” has to do with the environment. Despite being aware of the fact that one shouldn’t be teaching lots of idioms together, all at once, I felt I needed to highlight the fact that not every use of the word “green” is related to the environment. So I’m using the video below as a trigger. The related worksheet appears under it.

Going Green

“Hmmm”, you might be saying now.

“This teacher has completely ignored all the wonderful personification going on in this video”.

“But”, I would argue, “I use videos to serve a purpose and don’t build lessons because I found a great video (I waited with this one for more than two years!!!)”.

You might be staring at me, patiently or not, at this point.

Okay okay.

I needed to find a way to use the video for the weaker levels, those teenagers studying elementary level material. Something which could be also be good for the teachers I work with as part of my counseling job who do teach younger learners. So I related to the topic of feelings without actually using the term “personification”. I’ll let every teacher decide whether it is time to introduce the term or not. (See exercise below)

(Note – I specifically began with multiple choice questions before moving to open ended ones, since my students need modeling).

Enjoy!

2 thoughts on “Going Green – or NOT”

1. I’m glad you liked it! There are lots more in this blog under the category of Video Lessons.
      Naomi