Saturday’s Book: “And The Mountains Echoed” by Khaled Hosseini

Reading it felt like coming home.

I know that’s a strange way to put it, considering that I have absolutely no connection to the area, the language or its people (I don’t even know any expats!).

But its the third book I’ve read by the same author. It IS different from the others, while retaining a familiarity.  I know I’m in danger of sounding “Schmaltzy” here but I see Hosseini as a storyteller. One whom I trust.

I think the feeling was made much stronger because I listened to this book as an audio-book. Excellent choice for audio-book, because there are three readers, one of whom is the author himeself. All three readers have local accents and intonation. Hosseini often mentions in his books the Afghan love of stortytelling. Listening to the book enhanced the feeling of sessions with the master storyteller, even though I wasn’t sitting on a rug while listening!

2 thoughts on “Saturday’s Book: “And The Mountains Echoed” by Khaled Hosseini”

1. Hi Naomi,
    Thanks for the recommendation! You have inspired me to treat myself to this book (in paperback or audio form, I’m not sure – tempted to go with audio after your description!) once my dissertation is (finally) in, in a few weeks time! 🙂 It’s great to have something like that to look forward to!
    Lizzie

1. Lizzie,
      I’m glad I inspired you and even happier that you have reached the end of your dissertation! Proud of you!
      Lots of good books awaiting life after the dissertation!
      Naomi