Saturday’s Book: Listening to “The Blind Assassin” by Margaret Atwood

I can’t stress enough how great a writer I think Atwood is. The powerful way in which she uses words, the way more information is slowly fed to us is keeping me completely hooked.

It wasn’t my first choice as an audiobook (you may remember that I had wanted to listen to Patchett’s Bel Canto, which I then found in the library!) because I had a misconception that an audiobook should be a comparatively “light” book. Not true! A  good reader (the reader here is excellent!) makes all those thoughts and descriptions come alive. When Iris wonders about something, you HEAR the wonder in her voice and so much more!

Really recommend this and recommend the exprience of LISTENING to this book!

5 thoughts on “Saturday’s Book: Listening to “The Blind Assassin” by Margaret Atwood”

1. Have to agree, I LOVE Margaret Atwood. Have never tried audio books as an adult, feel uncomfortable having my experience mediated by someone else I guess – but the reader can surely make a difference. Iris who?

2. Sophia,
    Iris is the heroine.
    Do try an audiobook – think of the theatre coupled with the advantage of being able to chop vegetables as you listen!
    Naomi

3. Hi Naomi,

I have not read this one yet – only “Alias Grace” and “The Handmaid’s Tale” (I recommend both!). I love Atwood’s writing too : )

Hugs,
    Vicky xx

4. Vicky!
    I read the Handmaid’s tale years ago but don’t think I’ve read the other one. A lot of books just waiting to be read! Hurrah!
    Naomi