Can EFL Students’ Love of Comic Strip Characters be a Springboard to Reading Graphic Novels?

You are right, dear students, I have noticed you are interested in storytelling with graphics.

Using comic strip characters provided such a clear context, in an appealing way, that some of you actually told me that you enjoyed practicing the vocabulary from the approved word list in this way.

I certainly took note of that reaction!

How many chunks can a comics strip chunk with no help from a woodchuck? Practicing advanced “chunks” from the approved vocabulary lists.

I have even seen that the quirky comic characters I used when teaching Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken clarified the extent of the speaker’s dilemma for you in: “Giving Robert Frost Digital Advice in Choosing Roads”

Advice needed!

However, I’m not sure how to build on your interest in graphic novels. You all pick up our copy of the one graphic novel we have,  “Bone” by Jeff Smith, which someone donated to our classroom a while back.

You flip through it, but you don’t read it.

Perhaps you find the frequent use of unfamiliar idioms too challenging.

Or perhaps I need to learn how to help you read graphic novels in class.

We teachers, learn new things too, you know.

So, dear students, I’ll be attending this talk at the upcoming ETAI 2023 International Conference & Mediterranean Symposium