Saturday’s Book: “The Alienist” by Caleb Carr

I had such high hopes for this book! Now I’m entertaining the option of giving up on the remainder of this 531 page book.

I like historical novels. And the explanation of the title seemed so interesting! It seems that at the end of the 19th century people suffering from mental illness were considered alienated from their true selves. Those who treated them were called alienists. I’m interested in psychology.

And who knew that Theodore Roosevelt  was chief police commisioner in New York before he became president (and his nickname at that time was “the president”)?

Generally speaking I don’t have a problem that the focal point of the story is a murder. I have read a lot of murder mysteries and last Saturday’s book non fiction book had a serial killer in it, one Dr. Holmes (who is mentioned in the very first pages of this book).

However, it seems that the author believes that he can’t mention historical facts without making sure that before, after (and in the middle, sometimes) there has to be gruesome and seamy details from the underworld of New York at that period. I find it unpleasant, tiresome and kind of insulting to my intelligence.

I am going to read some more tonight and then decide if a trip to the library is to be added to tomorrow’s plans.

2 thoughts on “Saturday’s Book: “The Alienist” by Caleb Carr”

1. Posted on behalf of Dorit Renov:

about said annoying book
    don’t give it a second look.
    ditch without a hitch
    so it doesn’t itch.
    something else will you enrich,
    that isn’t kitch,
    and i bid you goodnight
    knowing the bedbugs will not you bite
    (yuck)
    somewhere there’s an end to this delight,
    is it in sight?!