From Superstitous Spiders to Celebrating Global CPD

The itsy bitsy spider (Naomi's Photos)
The itsy bitsy spider
(Naomi’s Photos)

It’s been the sort of week that makes me think of the phrase “everything that goes around, comes around”. It certainly seems that way, but was it because of the spider?

As some of you may know, I’m participating in a 365 project, which calls for a commitment to take a photo every day for a year. I’ve learned a lot from this project, including how to look at little things. So, I was delighted to get a shot of a spider among the dewy leaves right near my parking spot outside of school  (I never would have seen it before the project!).

Twenty minutes later in class, some students were working on exercises related to “the first conditional”. They asked for help with the sentence: “If you see a spider, you will get money”.

Really?! What a shame that I don’t believe in superstitions, because I just saw a spider!

Well, I didn’t get any money but I did “get” celebrations!

Spreading the word! (Naomi's photos)
Spreading the word!
(Naomi’s photos)

You see, my blog just had its 4th anniversary. So did Vicky Loras’ blog. Vicky is a wonderful ELT teacher located in Switzerland, whom I met when each of us decided to take the plunge and go look for online CPD. This means blogging and twitter, webinars, reading and collaborating online. Four years later I not only have learned a great deal, I now call Vicky my friend.

The thing that helped us both to really enter this new world was Shelly Terrell’s 30 Goals Project.

Today I read that Shelly and the project are celebrating the publication of a book: “The 30 Goals Challenge for Teachers: Small steps to transform your teaching!” So pleased to hear that!

But that’s not all.

The postman must have arrived very late yesterday, because we don’t get mail on Fridays. But there was an additional reason to celebrate waiting in my mailbox today – the Special Joint ETAI-ETAS issue of the ETAI Forum is out! And there’s a joint article, written by Vicky and myself,  presenting our “take” on Goal Number 3!

So what do you say about the timing of all of the above?!

Not bad for a little spider!

If you would like to read our article, here it is:

Vicky & Naomi

7 thoughts on “From Superstitous Spiders to Celebrating Global CPD”

1. How lovely to see an article by two of my favorite colleagues, friends and inspirations. I have learned so much from both Vicky and Naomi even though I had already been teaching some 30 years when I met them (Vicky at the IATEFL BESIG summer symposium in Paris in 2012 and Naomi at the IATEFL Annual Conference in Liverpool in 2013). Vicky introduced me to the world of blogging by interviewing me for her blog and Naomi was the person I turned to when I decided to start my own.
    A big thank you to both of you for all the work you do and to being who you are!

2. Dearest Naomi,

First of all, it has been a pleasure connecting with you and getting to know you via social media – I hope that we meet very soon in person! And I consider you a good friend as well – happy blog birthday to us both!

Dear Marjorie, I am so happy to know you and thank you for your kind words!

Best wishes and big hugs,
    Vicky

3. Naomi and Vicky,
    I’d like all of your blogging friends to know how much we at ETAI appreciate your contribution to the success of the ETAI-ETAS Forum. You answered our request for an article immediately and with great enthusiasm. Thank you both.
    Renee Wahl
    Editor, ETAI Forum